Jeremy and Sam go to SXSW! Day 5- Why Have I Never Been Here Before?

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Okay. I may or may not add more to this post. Let me make a few statements, and then scroll below for pictures.

  1. Getting to the festival was a bit of a drag- mainly because Austin's train system is so new and they haven't worked out all of the kinks yet. They had a station nearby that would take Sam and I downtown, but there was nowhere to park- not even a paid parking lot. Even worse, many nearby places threatened to tow if they saw unauthorized parking in their lots. We took the bus, which wasn't too bad.
  2. Austin is AWESOME. They close down like 8 square blocks for SXSW, so there's no worrying about traffic. You just walk around downtown.
  3. I want to eventually experience SXSW in its entirety (meaning I'll one day buy a badge), but at $500, I can't afford that. Anyways, you can have just as much fun without a badge. Bands are playing in every dive bar and on every street corner.
  4. Speaking of bars, every bar has drink specials. They actually give out a guide as to which indie bands are playing in each bar.
  5. Food trucks are EVERYWHERE. Any kind of food you would want is being sold here- tacos, burgers, barbecue, chicken, sandwiches, and every sort of food fusion in between. I had a batch of cheesesteak fries that were out of this world.
  6. I didn't realize that the University of texas is less than couple miles away from downtown Austin...so this was basically a giant music festival/frat party/spring break. Can't argue with that.
  7. I don't have personal issues with hipsters, but I have never seen so many guys wearing short jean shorts, tank tops, and fedoras before in my life. If all the hipsters dress alike, doesn't that make them mainstream? Mind blown.
I've said my piece. Take a look below.




No comments :

Post a Comment