Jeremy and Sam go to SXSW! Day 4- Damn It Feels Good To Be A Heckler.

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

From here on in, if days are missing on this trip blog, Uncle Jeremy is handing out tutorials in how to beat Super Mario Brothers on the Wii.

This afternoon I took a break from preparing my lecture on World 5 when I saw that the Texas Stars were playing tonight. They are the farm team for the NHL'S Dallas Stars, and since the stadium was 5 minutes away from my sister's home, I thought it would be a good idea if Sam and I went. After all, we hadn't seen each other since I dropped him off at his grandparents place.

Sam and his uncle came and picked me up, and it turns out that the Stars had a really nice stadium- too bad there weren't more people there.


One thing I thought was pretty awesome that the NHL teams don't have is cheerleaders. Now I've never seen cheerleaders at a hockey game, but now I'd like to see more.

HEB, a Texas area supermarket chain that was sponsoring tonight's game, had fans come down and play musical chairs with a giant bag of groceries.....a guy dressed up AS a giant bag of groceries- forgive me. The sight of that alone was funny, but then the grocery bag started cheating. He wasn't just moving chairs, he nearly body checked a person or two. I almost expected him to break out a hockey stick and start cutting people off at the knee. Well, when in Rome...

The Stars lost, but they got into a couple fights, and the game was all but decided by the time the third period started. So what did the three of us do? We heckled. We weren't even heckling the other team- we were equal opportunity hecklers. It got to the point that the families around us were staring at us and laughing- we were putting on a much better show than what was happening down on the ice.

I'm full of beer and jokes I never got out of my system- good night, everybody!

No comments :

Post a Comment