Jeremy and Sam go to SXSW! Day 1- Springfield, IL to Tulsa, OK

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Well, the first day went off without a hitch. Sam got out of class, packed an questionably light bag, and we were off.

Before we took off, we decided to split the trip into two days to make it easier. We were going along fine for a few hours, and had gone through about half of Missouri when I needed to get out of the car and stretch. We had made it to Rolla, MO- a town about halfway between Springfield MO and St. Louis. I got off the highway, turned into a gas station, and while Sam went in to get some jerky, I saw a fried chicken joint behind us. It beckoned me to come and try its offerings. I checked the place out on Foursquare, and someone wrote "Best $1.07 BBQ Chicken Sandwich ever!"

BBQ Chicken Sandwich? A buck-oh-seven? Count me in.

The place, Lee's Famous Recipe, is a Missouri thing. The server, Josh, took my order, and the poster on Foursquare was right- $1.07 to the penny. The sandwich reminded me of a Sloppy Joe, only thicker, and it was just enough to satisfy my hunger. Oh, and by the way? It was DELICIOUS. The sauce was perfect, there was more chicken than mash in the mixture, and for a buck and change, you can't beat that. Of course I could have just been hungry and delirious, but if that's the case, it was delicious anyway.


Sam and I were the only ones in the restaurant, so Josh decided to try and make friends and brought us water. We told him we were on out way down to Austin, and his eyes lit up? "You guys are going to South By Southwest? Awesome! You should so go see this band called Bad Brains. They're a punk reggae group and they are the best band ever!"

All I heard in that whole statement was "punk reggae"....I know the slogan for the City of Austin is Keep Austin Weird, but that's bordering somewhere on weird and insane.

Anyway, Josh talked to us about Bad Brains for a few more minutes before Sam and I decided it was best we go- Josh sounded high as a kite, and anyone who listens to punk reggae probably has lit up once or twice in his lifetime.

Tomorrow we hit Texas. Then we get the barbecue. Then we get the women.

No comments :

Post a Comment