I Want My Baby Back Baby Back Baby Back....

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

I totally forgot that I had a slab of ribs in my freezer that I intended to barbecue over the summer. Well, today was the day. By the way, why do people call them baby back ribs? It seems like it would be less appetizing with the word "baby" in them. After all, we don't call scrambled eggs "unborn chick fetuses", and we don't call veal "baby cow cutlets". i guess if you keep the name of the slaughtered animal out of the dish's name, then it's okay.

Anyhoo, I started by making a glaze for the ribs. Rather than search for a recipe online, I decided to take a bunch of items that were in my kitchen and make my own rub. This is a list of the items I used:

Sea Salt
Red Pepper Flakes
Black Pepper
Brown Sugar
A1 Steak Sauce
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Famous Dave's Rib Rub

The glaze looked pretty gross and had a consistency somewhere in between oatmeal and cement. It was delicious.


I applied the glaze generously to both sides of the slab; some of it came off and fell in the pan, but I just added a little water to the dish to help it possibly cook into the underside of the ribs and apply a little moisture for the oven in the process.

Of course, the second I was about to cover the pan, I realize we're out of aluminum foil, as reference by the bed that the baby back ribs now had. I had to get to class in 20 minutes, so going to Wal Mart to pick some up really wasn't an option. So what to do? Why, use a cupcake pan, of course!
Wrapping the baby in a tinfoil blanket until it's tender and edible.

Into the crib you go!

Two and a half hours later, these beauties were ready to come out of the oven and be basted. My will shall be done.


I'm still pretty bad at plating items; they tasted really good, but even a professional photographer couldn't save my butchering of these ribs. They fell off the bone, so it really wasn't my fault when I was cutting them. But then again, I cooked them, so I was responsible for the meat falling off the bone. But then again, I could just blame the butcher for selling...oh, forget it. It was my fault. I need to learn to plate food better. Period.


Anyways, the ribs were amazing, and I kinda wish I had written the quantities of ingredients for the glaze so I could use it again. They were a little spicy due to my overuse of red pepper, but tasty nonetheless. What are your best rib tactics? Any questions for me? Well, hit up the comments section below, and I will get to you as soon as I can! Later days!

No comments :

Post a Comment