5 Things The Xbox 360 Can Still Do Better

Friday, April 8, 2011

Let me just say this: I love my Xbox 360. Between playing games, catching up with my teams on ESPN, or watching movies on Netflix, it is a major asset to my meager dorm room. But still, I feel that the system could do better. With a major console makeover last summer, and the introduction of Kinect last holiday season, the Xbox is looking to make the transition from the grimy gamer basement to each and every living room in the country. Although they've come a long way since the console's debut in 2005, I still think that there are 5 things that the console can add to really displace the PS3 and Wii.

1. Better Facebook/Twitter Integration

So with the advent of the new Xbox 360 user interface (dubbed NXE) in November of 2008, Microsoft slowly began introducing apps to Xbox users. Facebook and Twitter came in together, and aren't bad. The problem? Well, they're not all that useful. Nothing about the apps stand out, and with my smartphone at hand at all times, there's really no reason for me to exit a game or movie just to post something to either site. Microsoft should look into possibly adding a feature to the mini menu (the one that shows up when you press the Xbox logo on your controller) that would allow people to post achievements, status updates, tweets, and more without having to ever leave their current program. It could also end up driving sales of their keyboard attachment.

2. Skype on Kinect

This one, in my opinion, could be big. Adding value to the already awesome Kinect by being able to video chat on the world's most used video chat software? Killer. Some say that it won't happen because Microsoft has already released Video Kinect, which is compatible with Windows Live Chat. But honestly, who uses IM software to video chat anymore? Seriously, when's the last time you've opened up a chat box not located in Skype or Facebook? I'll watch the clock.

EDIT 5/10/2011: Microsoft has bought Skype for $8.5 billion.

3. Add My Media Easier

Honestly, playing music on my Xbox is a pain in the ass. I have to do one of four things:
1. Pair my Xbox with Windows Media Center on my laptop
2. Burn music CDs and then rip them on my Xbox
3. Purchase a Zune Pass
4. Plug my Mp3 player into my Xbox and hope to god it can read my music
The first isn't too bad if you're on a secure network...but I still can't be in my game at the same time. The second requires too much work, as that means I have to add songs only 15 or so at a time....and if the album information isn't copied over to the Xbox perfectly, then I have to painstakingly type everything in manually. The third is just an unneeded expense, unless you're such a music fan to spend $15 monthly- I guess I can't talk though- I do pay $10 a month to have Netflix. The fourth isn't great either, since I have to navigate folders, and I can only play music one folder at a time. Since most music players separate songs into folders by artist, I'm basically screwed. Either way, I should be able to plug in a jumpdrive and add all my music like that- or at least allow me to transfer my music over through Windows Media Center. If I have a 250 GB hard drive, I'd like to use it for something other than game installs and dust-catching demos.

4. Live Tiles


I like the Xbox's "Cover Flow" interface, but I also like the tile interface seen on the Kinect version of the UI- I think that the latter could make live tiles possible. For those of you who don't know, live tiles are program icons that change as the news changes. For example, instead of going into my Weather Channel app on my Windows Phone, the live tile tells me it's 68 degrees and sunny; if I want more information, I just go into my app. The ESPN app would be an obvious choice to convert to a live tile app, as are The Weather Channel, Facebook, Twitter. This opens the door for even more, like a gamerscore tile that scrolls through recently played games and achievements, or a news app. Live tiles would give the user all the information they want without entering and exiting multiple programs.

EDIT 6/6/2011: Microsoft has announced that the Metro UI found on Windows Phones will now carry over to the new Xbox 360 user interface. Nice.

5. More Community Games

Xbox had  a big hit on their hands with the free, massive multiplayer trivia game 1 vs. 100. Sadly, it was yanked last year, presumably to make room for the GSN revival (which, as of this point, will not be renewed for a second season). It was fun because it was free, had lots of players, and each game was played live, with some games entirely composed of a single subject matter, like video games or current events. Users could also send in questions to be used on "User Question" nights, where the entire stack was composed of user-submitted questions. Even more awesome was that you could win stuff while playing- the top prize (if you were the lucky 1, playing against the 100), was 10,000 Microsoft Points, and even still, high scorers not in those 101 could still pick up free Xbox games and points along the way. 1 vs. 100 really brought the Xbox Live community together, as casual and hardcore gamers enjoyed the experience. Xbox is trying to recreate the experience with their newest community (but not free) offering, Full House Poker, so it seems as though they may be on the right track.

Did I miss an addition? Is there something else you'd like to see? Post in the comments section below!

No comments :

Post a Comment