Moleskine Notebooks...Serious Business

Wednesday, January 12, 2011


For the past year or so, I've had a Moleskine notebook. The notebook of choice for visionaries like Ernest Hemingway, Pablo Picasso, and Oscar Wilde, the Moleskine is a memo-size leather bound notebook. Considering they cost quite a bit more than a normal notebook (one Moleskine can cost as much as $22), they're a hefty investment. But from what I've seen so far, it's worth it.

I've used mine to draw new concept logos for companies, marketing ideas, and any other random musings that come to mind. If I did these in a normal notebook, it would be dog eared, bent, and scratched over a year's time. But not the Moleskine- those things are built to last. Thanks to the leather bounding and the acid free pages, my notes look as good as the day I wrote them down. My laptop bag is no place to put fragile items, and my Moleskine comes out every day looking perfect.

Moleskine also has a limited edition Pac Man line right now for the inner geek in all of us.

Over the past few years, the company has branched out, offering a whole series of notebooks that serve different purposes. There's a graph notebook, a storyboard notebook perfect for ad execs on the go, a planner, and a travel notebook, complete with maps, a photo holder, and a notes section to jot down all of your favorite places to go.

Although it costs nearly $20, a mid-size Moleskine sketchbook (5 x 8 1/2) is perfect for those who want to feed their creative side. Even with a laptop, smartphone, and iPad, I still get a sense of satisfaction when physically writing something down. Having the added protection of knowing it won't get messed up without me knowingly trying is the real selling point; I could go out and buy regular notebooks, but their "economy" build means that if the cover gets damaged, it's only a matter of time before the pages inside get messed up. For that, I have to recommend that you ditch the notebook you've been doodling in since high school, and buy one of these pronto.

No comments :

Post a Comment