...but the special features are the best part!

Sunday, January 2, 2011

So today I got back to school, and as I expected, my next Netflix movie came in. I had put Scott Pilgrim vs. The World in my queue in the first week of November, just a couple days after the movie made its way to DVD. Netflix promptly informed me that considering how many had put the movie in their queue before me, I wouldn't see a copy until December 10. The day it was released, it became the top selling Blu Ray disc on Amazon.com, so I could see why this wait could take some time.

Anyways, I'm getting off track. After driving a few hours back to school, I was happy to see the DVD waiting for me in my mailbox...I promptly put it in, watched the movie (it was awesome, by the way), and decided to watch the special features right after.

THEN THIS CAME UP.

What. The. Hell?

Seriously, I get that this is no different than renting a movie on VHS 10 years ago- you get the movie, and that's it. But if you're going to include the Special Features section, then I'd like to see some special features! Might as well produce a bare bones DVD with just the movie on it- at least then I know what I'm getting into. But I hope that this isn't what Netflix is turning into- as awesome as it is, I'd hate to be swindled out of what some consider to be the best part of the movie because it gives you a more complete experience. It's like reading a Mark Twain novel from his personal set of notes (or replace Mark Twain with your favorite author-whatever works for you). What's next, TV show seasons?

I don't mind that this happened, but at least give me fair warning by omitting the section entirely, not just inserting a blocker. But you still are screwing me out of what amounts to just ten minutes of extra scenes, so there's no need to be petty in the first place.

No comments :

Post a Comment