A Late Bloomer To The Automotive Game

Friday, December 24, 2010

So....I bought a new car this week. Hallelujah.

Merry Christmas to me indeed.
It's especially special for me, because this is my first car. It's a 2010 Corolla, and it is pretty awesome.

Let me share something with you: I went to Alcorn State University, which is in Lorman, Mississippi. It's famous for graduates like Steve McNair, Alex Haley, Medgar Evers, and Leslie Frazier, the interim head coach of the Minnesota Vikings.

Alcorn State, for all intents and purposes, is in the middle of nowhere.

Have you ever seen one of those films where there's a jail in the middle of nowhere? The type where there's one long narrow road in, one long, narrow road out? Replace the jail with a school, and that's Alcorn State. The nearest sign of civilization, Port Gibson, was 20 minutes away, and Vicksburg, the town with the nearest Wal Mart, was 45 minutes away. For four years, I was basically stranded. My biggest advice to new freshmen, was to always have a friend with a car; it was that important.

Now as a grad student at the University of Illinois at Springfield, I have a Wal Mart just 3 minutes away from campus. However, I've been taking the bus to work up until now.I'm pretty stoked about the new ride- one more thing I can cross off of the "Things I Need" list.

I'm a late bloomer socially. I went through my "teenage" phase in college, have never really had a serious girlfriend, and haven't even had a crap car like most 17 year olds do. I have to say though, this is definitely a step in the right direction.

No comments :

Post a Comment